At Evergreen Dental Group, our goal is to keep your smile healthy and attractive. When patients of ours suffer from missing teeth, we know that replacing them as quickly as possible not only affects your health; it also affects your appearance, social life and mental well being. In order to get your smile, your health, and your personal life back on track, Dr. McCaslin and his team offer dentures in Omaha, NE.
If you are looking for a quick tooth replacement option, dentures are your answer!
Why Choose Dentures?
There are many different tooth replacement solutions. From dental implants to bridges to dentures, each procedure has features that work well for different patients’ needs. If any of the following describes your situation, dentures may be the right fit for you:
- You suffer from periodontal disease (gum disease)
- You are not willing or cannot undergo multiple surgeries
- You want a fast way to replace your teeth
- You suffer from diabetes, cancer or have undergone radiation to the jaw
- You are a smoker and are not willing to quit
- You suffer from alcoholism
- You do not have sufficient bone in your jaw to support a dental implant
Benefits of Dentures
- It is a fast solution- patients can enjoy a new smile very quickly with our temporary dentures and can enjoy their permanent set in just 2 to 3 weeks as opposed to the 6- 9 month process of dental implants
- It is removable- while this also means that dentures are not as sturdy as other options, the fact that the device is removable means that patients can better clean their gums and oral structures
- It is a less expensive procedure compared to bridges or dental implants
How do Dentures work?
When our patients request to be considered for the dentures procedure, they must first undergo a consultation. During this consultation with Dr. McCaslin, we will assess your oral health needs and explain the pros and cons of the procedure.
If a person still has teeth that need to be extracted, we will first take impressions of the ridge of the mouth and other oral structures that will affect the fit of the dentures. Then, the impressions are sent to the laboratory where experts will create the patient’s customized dentures.
After the impressions, the remaining teeth are extracted. Patients will have two to three weeks to heal from the extractions before their dentures return from the lab. In the meantime, we can offer patients temporary dentures if needed.
Once the permanent set of dentures arrives, our patient will come in to “try in” the prosthetic. Dr. McCaslin will make sure the fit is comfortable and secure and can make small last minute changes to improve the fit of the dentures.
Once the patient is satisfied and happy with their new smile, the process is complete. However, we do require several followup visits with Dr. McCaslin to monitor the fit and make adjustments as needed.
At our office, we also offer partials. This process is very similar to dentures, however, it allows the patient to keep any remaining teeth. Partials are prosthetic devices that simply close the gap from missing teeth and can be removable or fixed.
We offer removable partials that are securely attached using a metal wire that fits around surrounding teeth. This device will contain the prosthetic teeth needed to complete your smile.
Immediate dentures allow our patients to walk out of our office with a new smile in just one visit. This means that an impression is taken of the patient’s mouth before the teeth are extracted. The impression is sent to the lab and used to create the dentures. Once the dentures arrive, we remove the teeth and immediately place the dentures.
Placing the dentures immediately following the extraction controls the swelling. After three months, the dentures will need to be relined and adjusted to fit your mouth after it has healed from the extractions.
We also work with surgeons for mini implant denture stabilization, ERA attachment, and overdentures. These procedures require incisions and surgeries and provide a permanent, nonremovable option for denture patients.
How to Care for Your Dentures
In order to ensure the longest life of your dentures, we recommend you follow these tips:
- Remove your dentures every night before bed
- Clean dentures with a dentist-approved cleaning solution or simply brush the surface with a soft bristled brush
- Avoid cleaning your dentures with a toothpaste as many toothpastes are too abrasive and can ruin the surface
- Do not drop your dentures and set them down with care on hard surfaces to avoid breaking them
- Keep your dentures moist at all times, including when you remove them overnight. This will help your dentures keep their shape. However, do not leave them in hot water because this will cause them to warp.
- Schedule regular appointments with Dr. McCaslin, during these appointments we will make adjustments to your dentures as needed and also help you to keep up with your oral health.
If you are suffering from several missing teeth and are interested in replacing them, dentures may be an option for you. Dentures can be a great way to restore your smile and oral health and also improve your social life and mental well being. If you are interested in learning more about this procedure and how it differs from dental implants and other tooth replacement options visit Dr. McCaslin at Evergreen Dental Group. For more information or to schedule your initial consultation, visit us at our office or call us today at (402) 493-4040.